Saturday, January 31, 2015

Week 3 Prompt


1. I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!

Answer: You just finished reading Circus of the Damned (1995).  The next book in the series is The Lunatic Café (1996).

2. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.

Answer:  Here are several titles you might enjoy:

Anthill by Edward O Wilson,
Next of Kin by Joanna Trollope
A Rhinestone Button by Gail Anderson-Dargatz
The Loop by Nicholas Evans

3. I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!

Answer: You might like:
The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet (Jun 2010) by David Mitchell (David Stephen). 

Here is a description from Novelist:  In Dejima in Nagasaki Harbor, 1799, the Japanese Empire's single port and only window on the world, a resourceful young clerk, Jacob de Zoet, has five years to earn a sufficient fortune to win the hand of his wealthy fianćee back in Holland. But Jacob's intentions are eclipsed after a chance encounter with the daughter of a samurai doctor.

4. I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?

Answer: You might want to try:
         Still Life by Louise Penny
         The Man with a Load of Mischief by Martha Grimes
         Cover Her Face by P. D. James

5. My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?

Answer: He might like to read:
Zombies: shambling through the ages (Jul 2013)
Zombies: the recent dead (Oct 2010)
Zombies hate stuff (Mar 2012)


Second, after you get a chance to do the readings and explore Mary Chelton's list of tools, I want to hear about how you find books to read. It could be a site or a resource you've just discovered or one you've used for years, one you use for yourself or for your patrons or family and friends.


Answer: I find out about new fiction books in three ways:  I peruse the “New” shelves at my library, I receive the free eletter from GoodReads.com, and I regularly read through the Library Journal and New York Times Book Review (paper editions).

5 comments:

  1. I tend to peruse the "New" shelves at my library, too. And, I've found that working the circ desk can be a hazard. I end up taking books home... At least they're free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I'm the same way! I always have stacks of library books around my house; it drives my husband crazy! I spend a good amount of time in tech services, so I get to see the books when they come in, before they're processed. Every time we get a delivery, it's like Christmas!

      Back before I worked at the library, I would often just find my books by browsing the shelves. I've found several now-favorite series when I just picked them up because the cover looked good.

      Delete
  2. I remind my husband all the time why it is better for me to work at a library instead of a bookstore. But, sometimes I have to be asked if I am going to put the book down any time soon.

    Sometimes, a patron will walk in excited about a book. These recommendations sometimes result in me wanting to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, which resources did you use to locate these books?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used Novelist Plus. This is available for card holders through the St. Joseph County Public Library

    ReplyDelete