Sunday, January 25, 2015

Week 2 - Reader Profile

Reader Profile:
I have on one of my book shelves the following words framed:

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.  Well, I don’t think I have a problem per se, but if I did it would be this:

Bib’li-o-hol’ism (Gr biblion) n. (Biblio + holism) books, of books: the habitual longing to purchase, read, store, admire, and consume books in excess.

When folks perusing my stacks find this, I often get a glance, a raised eyebrow, and sometimes a questioning smile.  My response is usually, “We’ve never missed a meal or mortgage payment or any other kind of payment and, yes, my wife is fine with this.”  

I am drawn to a wide variety of genres. I enjoy historical fiction, westerns, science fiction, literary fiction, spy novels, and certain kinds of thrillers.  My most recent 

Authors I have read lately:

Louis L’Amour - Hondo
Wally Lamb – The Hour I First Believed
Barbara Kingsolver – Flight Behavior
Jan Karon – Mitford Series
Susan Howatch – Glittering Images
Lee Child – Jack Reacher novels.  I am reading them in order and have just finished “The Affair.”

I read fiction for several reasons.
1.     I want to be entertained.
2.     I want to escape from my present “issues and concerns” and be engrossed in someone else’s “issues and concerns.”
3.     I want to live vicariously through a particular character. 
4.     I want to learn about myself through interacting with the story and characters.
5.     I want to learn about a particular time period.

For the last two years, I have been keeping track of the books I read and summarizing them and writing favorite quotes on an excel sheet I created.  My last class in the MLS program was Youth Materials taught by Annette Lamb.  She had us keep a log of our reading for the class on either Good Reads or Library Thing.  I created a Good Reads account and am going to stick with that.  I like doing book reviews and through Good Reads people can read my reviews and summaries.


Years ago I was paid to write Book Reviews for the Dallas Morning News.  Gosh, that was fun.  I earned Starbucks money AND I got to keep the book.  How cool is that!?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff ~I have always had the same problem; that is, being able to let go of my hardcover books. Every decade it seems I have had to let a few more go ~ I'm down to my King James Bible from grade school, my collection of "The City of God" by Sister Mary of Jesus, my two favorite cookbooks and a few Reader's Digests. What a great idea summarizing your books as you have read them. I see you like Louis Lamour - I was surprised to see in our readings that he wrote on a novel base in the 12th century Middle East - my step-grandfather had a whole bookcase of his books - all were westerns so the Middle East setting was a surprise, nice one too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading the book by Louis L'Amour that you mentioned. I read it years ago. I believe it was set within the framework of the crusades. It was just as captivating to read as the westerns.

    ReplyDelete