Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Week 4 Secret Shopper Report

At 4:30pm today I entered a previously visited library where I was not known by the staff.  I am familiar with the layout of the library from my previous visit.  The quickest way to find a librarian was to go to the Information and Reference desk.  This desk is clearly identified and easy to see from numerous vantage points in the library.  I am pleased to say that two people staffed the desk. 

There were two patrons ahead of me at the desk but no one behind me.  The female staff became available first. She smiled and asked, “How may I help you?”  I explained that I was looking for a book recommendation.  She said, “I am more of computer person.  I can usually find a book, but he (pointing to the other staff person at the desk) is better at giving a recommendation.”

While waiting for him to finish assisting the patron in front of me, I looked around.  I saw no sign indicating that they had book lists or Readers Advisories available.  There were no binders or books of that sort on the desk either.  When my turn came, I explained that I was looking for a book recommendation.  He turned to his computer.  But didn’t ask anything right away.  I said, “I’ve been reading entirely too much serious stuff lately, I need to read something that will take me away.”  He empathetically said, “I hear that.”

He asked, “Anything in particular you are looking for?”  I said, “I was hoping to read something that is hot right now.  Something lots of people are reading.”  He didn’t respond.  He just looked at me as if I should know to tell him what I wanted.  So, I said, “When I was younger, I read some Science Fiction.  Can you direct me to what’s popular in Science Fiction?”

He turned to his computer and began keying.  I thought, “Well, now we are going to see how it’s done!”  But, alas, he stood up.  I was going to be shown how something is done, but not right here, apparently. He said, “Let me show you where the Science Fiction Section is.”  So, I followed him. He showed me where it started and where it ended.  He showed me where the “A” section started. The books are listed alphabetically by the author’s last name.  I asked him again, “Can you recommend a couple of authors or titles that are popular right now?”  He said, “Well, what I would do is look through the section and see what catches your attention.”  I asked, “Are there new authors that everybody is reading?”  He said, “What you want to do is look for the newer looking books, especially books that are in a series.”  I asked, “Do you have any favorite authors? Or do you hear people talking about a particular author?”  He then went back to the “A” section and pointed out Isaac Asimov.  He said, “He’s kind of the grand daddy of Science Fiction.”  I said, “I remember reading him as a youth.” Then he pointed out Orson Scott Card, Arthur Clark, Elizabeth Moon, and S.M. Stirling. He concluded the tour with, “These all have books in series.”   And his parting words were before he turned around and walked away were, “Let me know if I can help some more.”  At least he said it to me directly rather than talking while he walked away. 

Gosh.  After that little exercise in frustration I could not bear the thought of troubling him anymore today.

Was he successful as a Reader Advisor?  Yes and No.  Yes, because he did get me to say what I was looking for.  He showed me what he knew.  He showed me where the Science Fiction section is.  In addition, he did tell me what authors he was aware of that were worth reading.  No titles, but authors.  I suspect he likes to find his books by perusing the stacks.  And, he assumes others enjoy that kind of journey too.  As the saying goes, “it’s the journey, not the destination.”


But, the answer is also No because I was clearly looking for a destination and not a journey.  He did not directly answer my questions.  He did not look up in the computer/Internet/database or in a book or a three ring binder an answer to my questions about what is popular right now in terms of authors or titles. Nor, did he go that extra step to find out from someone else how to secure that kind of information.   Aside from showing me where the Science Fiction section was I was not really served in the way I needed to be.  I felt a bit lost and frustrated.  I know he heard my voice, but he clearly did not know how to answer.  He did not judge or condescend or convey any negative impression other than that he just didn’t know how to answer the questions I had.  If he ever participated in Readers Advisory training, he was clearly not implementing the training with me.

7 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that you didn't have a more positive experience Jeff! How frustrating for you that you couldn't get a single recommendation. It doesn't seem as though either staff member were very confident with recommendations, which definitely isn't a good thing! I am sure you aren't the first person to have needed help finding something to read, and have walked away feeling frustrated. If this had been a real personal experience, what would have been your next step to try to hunt down something to read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I wasn't trying to act ignorant of the mysterious ways of the library, I would have been much more assertive by saying, "Please show me how I can find what I want in the computer." And, if that didn't work, I would have embarrassed him by saying, "If you can't show me, please take me to someone who can." If I would have been misdirected after that, I would have gone to the other desk and asked for the librarian in charge which could not have possibly be him, right?, and explained my request and experience. If nothing else, I would have gone to the new books display, which is what I eventually did anyway, and at least found something new. The other thing I would have done is find a working computer with internet and googled "popular science fiction book 2014" and gone from there. Or, I would have searched for the Novelist database from my own library and found a much more satisfactory response. And, if this was a real experience, when all is said and done I would email the director of the library to explain what it is that happened. I would have named names, places and times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That doesn't sound like a very good experience at all! Thinking about readers advisory, reading other peoples' experiences, and doing my own secret shopper, I realized that I need to work harder in that too. I could have given you some popular science fiction (I would have immediately pointed out "Redshirts" and "Lock-In" by John Scalzi, "Red Rising" by Pierce Brown, and "The Martian" by Andy Weir.) However, if someone came up and asked me about Christian Fiction, I would be a lot less sure because I don't read that particular genre. That's why it's important for all of us working in libraries to have at least some knowledge of what's popular in all of the different genres.

    I was talking to a coworker about this class and readers advisory in general, and she said that some libraries have staff read books outside of their comfort zone and do a little "book report" in a staff meeting. This gets staff members reading new things and helps everybody hear about the variety we have in the library. I'm thinking we might implement that at our library to try to help get and keep people up to scratch on readers advisory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like it was a let down. I feel like sometimes, as a librarian, I also need to be a psychologist and read body language and facial expressions.

    He did good in pausing. People who are uncomfortable will try to fill the silence--just as you did about SciFi. Do you know if that library has Novelist? Is it a large or small system? But, definitely, there was a lack in communication to help find out more information and knowing where to go with that information.

    The other librarian did good in trying to get you better help than she thought she could give you. However, computer person or not, why couldn't she help? It is my personal opinion that if you are working with the public and not behind the desk in the basement, there should be at least a little knowledge of how and where to go with some of the questions.

    Not being there, I like to think the best in people that I can. Neither one was rude or deliberate in their inability to help. They just didn't know how to help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, some librarians are so overworked that most of them don't have time to know what is in their collection to be able to recommend resources. Also some librarians are expected to wear many hats so they assist with circulation, reference, children, YA even PR ! I do think it is acceptable for librarians to have a couple of hours a day or more to go around the stacks, learn what's there, read the materials (at least the contents page) so they can recommend resources better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a somewhat similar experience. The staff member who helped didn't read mysteries, so she took me to the new books and told me to look for mystery stickers. She only asked me a question or two. I'm somewhat glad my experience wasn't perfect because it gave me an example to NOT follow.

    ReplyDelete