Thursday, February 26, 2015

Week 7 Prompt

For our prompt this week, I want you to think about fake memoirs, author mills, and celebrity inspired book clubs. Basically write a readers' response to one of the articles you are reading for this week - or talk about a time when a book or author that made headlines affected you personally or your work.

 Zaleski, Jeff. "The James Patterson Business." Publishers Weekly 4 Nov. 2002: 43-55. Print.

My experience with James Patterson is limited. I have not read Patterson, but I did enjoy the movie Kiss the Girls.  At the library I volunteer at, my primary responsibility is to do the final steps in withdrawing books from the catalogue, imprint them with the solemn “Withdrawn” stamp and mark “WD” where the call letters are before boxing the books for the Friends of the Library book sale.  My library purchases a lot of best sellers.  And, once people are done with the best sellers, they don’t check them out anymore so they go to the sale.  I withdraw a lot of Patterson books. They don’t appear to have enduring value.  It’s entertainment for the moment, not for a lifetime.

The range of criticism that Publishers Weekly reported about Patterson intrigued me.  I don’t think it all boils down to “jealousy” as Jennifer Rudolf Walsh speculates on page 55.  I suspect that some critics may truly be frustrated with Patterson’s desire to write for the masses.  He does not write for the sake of writing.  He does not write because it makes him or humanity better.  He does not write to inform.  He writes to entertain.   His writes with the specific desire to entertain the masses.  So, he writes with characters, subjects, and in a manner that people connect with.  He is producing a product that people like and people are buying.

Is it kitsch? Is it kitsch in written form?  

Many in the art world don’t care one wit for Thomas Kincaid’s paintings.  But Kincaid has made a ton of money because he produces what people want.  I don’t think Sam Butcher enjoyed critical acclaim with his Precious Moments figurines, but because he produced what people connected with, he made a ton of money.  I am aware of “serious” artists who consider Kincaid and Butcher’s art to be kitsch.

It may also be true that the critics of Patterson are also frustrated with those who buy his books.  Why don’t his readers demand more?  Why do they settle for streamlined stories that have two page chapters, concise sentences devoid of style, and that lack character and setting development? What does this say about the readers?  And why are there so many of them who clearly don’t need good writing? Is education being wasted on the masses?

I am not surprised that Patterson utilizes co-authors. Zaleski notes on page 48 that contemporary authors Clive Cussler and Tom Clancy join a long list of others who have used co-authors.  And, of course, Patterson’s co-authors are not going to jeopardize their livelihood by detailing how much of the book they actually write.  But, why, I wonder, is anyone surprised by the fact that Patterson utilizes co-authors?  He is writing for entertainment.  The entertainment industry has used writing teams for years.  More ideas come out of the synergy of the group.  Teams of writers usually write scripts for TV shows and movies.  And, because people who produce these entertainment venues want their projects to be successful, there is always an eye toward what the market wants.  The challenge is to produce a story that people will enjoy, tell their friends about, and most importantly, buy it for themselves and for others.

Patterson understands the book industry as a business.  He is doing his part in making sure that his investment in time and energy is paying off.  He controls the presentation of the product (book cover, position of books in the book store, marketing on TV, Internet, Newspaper, etc.).  He knows how to interact with the crowds in a way that pleases them.  He writes what people will buy and read.  He is bringing enormous amounts of money to the publishers and those who work with and for him. 

He is, in a word, successful.  He is successful is creating the brand that people recognize.  He is successful in expanding the brand.  And, quite frankly, he is successful in creating foot and digital (eBooks) foot traffic into the library.  His success means that his books will have a reader.  A reader means the library is fulfilling its mission.  Libraries that fulfill their mission stay open and keep employees employed. Everyone is happy.


Except, of course, the critics.  The critics are not happy.  Is it jealousy of the success? Perhaps.  But, are critics ever really happy? I don’t know.  What I am happy about is that he is producing books that people read.  When they stop reading his books I will withdraw them to make room for the next big thing.

4 comments:

  1. I feel like sometimes critics (and others!) get it in their head that there's no place for fluff entertainment. However, I think that there's not only a market for that, but that it's actually important for people to have! My mom is a big reader of fluff - mostly romance, but also cozy mysteries and a few suspense & thrillers. She has a job where she has to think a lot, and when she gets home she wants entertainment that doesn't tax her brain too much. Plus, she also says that there is enough bad stuff going on in the world, and she doesn't want her entertainment to reflect that bleakness; she wants to be happy when she's entertained. I think those are both great reasons to read "fluff!"

    I'm really intrigued by Patterson's brand. I didn't know that he was a marketing executive before he became a writer, but it makes sense. Even though my coworkers and I like to laugh about his dorky commercials, I can't help but admire his marketing genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patterson refers to himself as a "brand." That brand is taking up 4 and 1/2 shelves plus at our small library branch. Why are there so many? First, because he has written a lot between his solo and collaborative efforts. Also, patrons keep checking them out. If we do withdraw a Patterson novel, it's usually because it needs replaced after being checked out so much.

    I am studying the book cycle in my book history class, Patterson's involvement in so many aspects of the book cycle and his knowledge about each aspect--especially the entertainment aspect--is the reason for his success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jenny that people want/need fluff entertainment. Nicholas Sparks is one author that jumps to my mind immediately. I would think that his books wouldn't have lasting appeal, as you say about Patterson's books, but people still check them out all the time at my library. It's irritating to me personally because he's one of those authors with a formula (see http://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillaume/create-your-own-nicholas-sparks-plot#.ov2RRQQPE). Yet people seem to love it, and they go back to it book after book after book. It never gets old for some people. Same thing with Patterson at my library--people still check his older stuff out. I wonder if part of that is that people become intrigued by the latest release, they read it and love it, and then they go back and read all the old stuff.

    Another point about what you wrote: a few weeks ago, a coworker brought a James Patterson book up to me, and it had another author's name on the cover along with Patterson's. He asked what I thought was the story with that. I said that I guessed that the second author was like a ghostwriter, but one that actually gets credit. After reading the PW article, I think that was probably a good guess. Just like the Nicholas Sparks Formula, the concept of "co-writing" (where the big-time author--Patterson, here--actually might write very little, if any, of a book) gets under my skin. But as you say, he writes for entertainment...why not get that material out there by whatever means necessary, since the masses are beckoning for more? I guess when you have that many titles under your belt, you obviously know what works and you're entitled to do whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great prompt! I agree with everything you said about Patterson. It would be different if nobody liked Patterson, but he's popular and he knows what the masses want so bully for him. He's never proclaimed to be classy writer of literature, he knows he writes fluff and he markets the heck out of it!

    ReplyDelete